There are a couple of reasons why we love this recipe for Spaghetti Aglio E Olio and not only for the flavours but the memories it bring back from NETFIT Tours (Bali Retreat) & cooking with Chef Carmie.
1 packet of Spaghetti or Linguine
2 Tablespoons good olive oil
6 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
300gm of any Protein- Chicken/Prawns/Red Snapper/Squid
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
3. Set aside 1 & 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta, such as a 12-inch saute pan or a large, shallow pot.
5. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn golden on the edges-don’t overcook it!
6. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more.
7. Carefully add the reserved pasta-cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil.
8. Lower the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
9. Add the drained pasta to the garlic sauce and toss.
10. Off the heat, add the parsley and parmesan and toss well.
11. Allow the pasta to rest off the heat for 5 minutes for the sauce to be absorbed.
12. Taste for seasoning and serve warm with extra Parmesan on the side.